Tag Archives: Mike Pence

Zelenky at BookDeal Summit NYC

Brussels 18.11.2022 DealBook Summit November 30, 2022, 8 a.m.–6 p.m. E.S.T. New York City
Premier Sponsor Accenture
“We are pleased to announce our lineup for the DealBook Summit, to be held at Jazz at Lincoln Center in New York City on Nov. 30. Andrew will host a series of conversations with the biggest newsmakers in the world of business, politics and culture.

“Among the speakers: President Volodymyr Zelensky of Ukraine; Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen; Mark Zuckerberg, Meta’s co-founder, chairman and C.E.O.; Shou Chew, TikTok’s C.E.O.; Mike Pence, former vice president of the United States; Andy Jassy, Amazon’s C.E.O.; Reed Hastings, Netflix’s co-founder and co-C.E.O.; Mayor Eric Adams of New York; Larry Fink, BlackRock’s chairman and C.E.O.; Sam Bankman-Fried, FTX’s C.E.O.; and Priscilla Sims Brown, Amalgamated Bank’s C.E.O The link to the event here: https://www.nytimes.com/events/dealbook-summit#sessions

“This fall, Andrew Ross Sorkin brings together today’s most vital minds on a single stage, live in the heart of New York City. Be there as the conversation unfolds, revealing hidden complexities, unexpected relationships and the wide-ranging ripple effects of change” the NYT writes, offering the readers to participate.

“Please complete the following application to express your interest in the 2022 DealBook Summit.
The New York Times will use the contact information provided to follow up with your application request.
“The fee to attend the conference is $2,499.
If you are using a promo/partner code you will see the full Summit price reflected until you reach the payment page and enter your code.
If you are interested in purchasing group tickets or our academic and non-profit rate ($1,500), please contact nytdealbooksummit@nytimes.com ” the announcement reads. (Image above: Lincoln Centre, NYC) DealBook Summit

Iranian army ready to suppress public protests

“Although this blind sedition was so small that a portion of the police force was able to nip it in the bud … you can rest assured that your comrades in the Islamic Republic’s army would be ready to confront the dupes of the Great Satan (United States),”  Iran Major General Abdolrahim Mousavi was quoted.

Iran’s army chief said police forces had already resolved the problems of anti-government unrest but that his troops were ready to intervene if needed, official media reported, as new state-sponsored protests were held.

The head of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards said that a string of anti-government protests were over after six days of unrest.

In comments to the Fars news agency, Mohammad Ali Jafari said that only 15,000 people had turned out at the height of the rallies and that the main “troublemakers” have been arrested.  “Today, we can say it is the end of ‘sedition 1396,’ ” Jafari said, using the year in the Iranian calendar.

 

 

 

Pence: "New York Times is disgraceful"

The ongoing offensive of  US mass media,  loyal to Democrats,  against President Trump took a new turn when vice-president Mike Pence issued a statement, openly accusing one of the leading newspapers in publishing the ‘fake news’.

Pence denied that he is considering a run for the presidency, and interpreted the move NYT move as one more attempt to divide Trump’s administration.

“The American people know that I could not be more honored to be working side by side with a president who is making America great again,” the vice president said, referring to Trump’s 2016 campaign slogan.

“Whatever fake news may come our way,” he said, citing another favored presidential phrase, “my entire team will continue to focus all our efforts to advance the president’s agenda and see him re-elected in 2020.”

At this point in time it is unclear if NYT will offer its formal apology to vice-president, or it will continue the crusade against Trump’s administration in spite of the protests and accusations in a highly subjective and bias representation of political realities.

Pence welcome in Brussels

pence-mogherini

The meeting followed on from the High Representative’s contacts with Vice President Pence in the last months, and with other leading members of the new US administration – namely Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and Secretary of Defence James Mattis – both during her visit to Washington on 9-10 February and last week in Europe.

Mogherini and Pence discussed the importance of a strong partnership between the EU and the US, which is essential for both sides of the Atlantic.

In an open and warm conversation, the High Representative reaffirmed a strong willingness of the EU to continue building a strong EU-US partnership on the basis of clear values and interests, and cooperating closely on bilateral as well as international issues.

On the latter, they had an in depth exchange on common priorities, from Syria to Ukraine, from Libya to the Middle East, from Afghanistan to DPRK. As chairperson of the Joint Commisdion, Mogherini stressed the need to preserve and fully implement the Iran nuclear deal.

The two also shared views on how to deepen and strengthen cooperation on counter-terrorism, in particular in the context of the anti-Daesh coalition.

Pence visit -"threat" in Brussels

pense-thumb

Anna van Densky, OPINION   Taking into consideration the anti-Trump rethoric of president Donald Tusk naming the new US administration an ‘existential threat’ to the  EU one can not expect much from vice-president Mike Pence visit to Brussels.

The myopia of the EU leaders, from the moment of taking sides in the US elections, fiercely defending #Hillary, thus the US Democrats, and later going to ‘crescendo’ about the ‘threat’ President Trump represents for the EU, closed the window of opportunity for the current EU institutions officials to develop fruitful relations with the new US administration, subsequently the leading democracy and economy in the world.
The visit of Mr.Pence will be short, and the absence of press conference, replaced by brief appearances presenting statements clearly indicates there is no much common ground and hope after what the leaders of the EU institutions have done to offend the newly elected President of the United States of America, disrespectful to the democratic choice of American people. One can not co-operate with a ‘existential threat’, can he?..
Hopefully the US administration knows that there many citizens in the EU, who do no approve the anti-Trump position of the EU institutions unelected leaders, considering the President Trump ‘threat’ narrative fictitious, and they will go to ballot boxes soon. In view of the upcoming elections in The Netherlands, France, Germany and Italy, there is very little sense for the new US administration to build on sand with the current EU, rapidly losing grounds with public opinion in Europe, mainly as a result of mass-migration policies imposed on the citizens without their consent.
In case of accession to power French presidential candidate Marine Le Pen promised to organize the EU membership referendum within six month, meaning from next year the political landscape in the EU will go through major change, likely very favorable for the relations between the US administration and ensemble of the European nations.

 

 

Is Pence pessimistic about EU?

pence-merkel

While “unwavering” in its support for Nato, vice-president Mike Pence was silent about the European Union at the Munich Security Conference.

In his address to the European leaders he underlined that US would “stand with Europe today and every day”, but the same time he regretted that the majority of the Euope’s governments were “failing to pay their fair share” for defense, “eroding” the foundation of the alliance. Apparently, enjoying the US security umbrella, only four Nato countries had met a 2014 commitment to spend 2% of GDP on defence. Nato estimates for 2016 among allies the UK, Greece, Poland and Estonia met the obligations, while the other were US security ‘consumers’.

However the concerns about the ‘moderation’ of US support to NATO in case the situation will not improve, is secondary to the notion of the disbelief of the new US administration of the survival of the EU beyond 2017.

The US vice-president’s silence does not send an encouragement sign to Brussels, already concerned by the personality of the new US ‘ambassador to be’ to the EU, who compared the current situation in the block with the crumbling USSR. Ted Malloch, belonging to the president’s inner circle, has raised a wave of protests from Brussels politicians by comparing the EU to the Soviet Union, profiling himself as an active contributor to its collapse.

 

Pence to visit Brussels in February

The Prime Minister Charles Michel, confirmed this week that the US Vice-President Mike Pence will come to Brussels this month.
The two men will meet on Sunday February 19th, over a working dinner given over to the bilateral relationship between Belgium and the US, as much as the institutions in Europe.
On Thursday, the White House announced the first visit to Europe of the Vice-President.

He will also be going to Germany to the 53rd Security Conference in Munich, taking place from February 17th to February 19th, before meeting the leaders of the European institutions on Monday February 20th.  “We have worked through diplomatic channels in an intense and discreet manner”, – PM Michel said.