Category Archives: Security

41 died in plane crash in Moscow airport

In Sukhoi Superjet 100 plane crash at Sheremetyevo Airport 41 passengers lost their lives, Yelena Markovskaya, spokesperson for the Moscow interregional transport investigation department of the Russian Investigative Committee, told reporters.

“Forty-one people died,” she said. In total 78 passengers and crew were on board, 37 of them survived, including four crew members.

Sheremetyevo is considered as the main Moscow airport, and the main hub for Aeroflot company.

The main version of a fire on board the Sukhoi Superjet 100  is a lightning  TASS News agency quotes the  emergency services.

“The main version is a lightning strike on the plane, after which the automatics failed. During landing, according to preliminary data, the plane hit the runway twice. A lightning version is also confirmed by one of the crew members,” the source said.

According to him, after departure from Moscow to Murmansk, one of the passengers noticed a fire in the wing, which he immediately reported to the crew. The captain has decided to return to Sheremetyevo.

The plane landed with an excess mass and a large overflight of about 1,400 meters. As a result, landing occurred in the middle of the strip. The landing gear collapsed. Its elements may have fallen into the engine, which caught fire, “- said another source to  Interfax news agency.

30 foreigners killed in Sri Lanka blasts

Among killed in multiple blasts are “close” to 30 foreigners Sri Lanka Minister of Economic Reforms and Public Distribution Harsha de Silva informed press. Immediate actions will be taken to stop activities of all extremist groups, 12 hour curfew imposed from 6 PM. Social media temporary banned, Minister continued.

Seven suspects arrested in relation to the blasts.

AFP news agency reports that Sri Lanka‘s police chief Pujuth Jayasundara issued an intelligence alert to top officers 10 days ago, warning that suicide bombers planned to hit “prominent churches“.

A foreign intelligence agency has reported that the NTJ (National Thowheeth Jama’ath) is planning to carry out suicide attacks targeting prominent churches as well as the Indian high commission in Colombo,” the alert said.

The NTJ is Sri Lanka radical Muslim group that was linked last year to the vandalism of Buddhiststatues.

The toll in a series of eight blasts in Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday has risen to at least 207 dead, with over 450 people wounded, police spokesman Ruwan Gunasekera said.

On 21 April 2019 bombs were used to attack three churches and three hotels in Sri Lanka, in central Colombo, and in the northern suburb of Colombo Kochchikade, and roughly twenty miles north of Colombo in Negombo and in the east of the country in ” British FCO travel advice wrote.

22/04/2019 21:27 AMENDED:

Journalist killed in terrorist incident in N.Ireland

An journalist was killed after shots were fired during a “terrorist incident”in the Northern Irish city of Londonderry overnight. As soon as the violence erupted police said it was likely the act of militant nationalists opposed to the British region’s 1998 peace deal.

Rioting broke out in the Irish nationalist Creggan area of the city late night on April 18 following a raid by police, who said they were intended to prevent militant attacks planned for the weekend. Nevertheless At least 50 petrol bombs were thrown and two cars set on fire.

“Unfortunately at 11 o’clock last night a gunman appeared and fired a number of shots toward the police and a young woman, Lyra McKee 29 year old was wounded” and later succumbed to injuries, Police Service of Northern Ireland Assistant Chief Constable Mark Hamilton told press on April 19.

AMENDED: Late Lyra McKee lived in Belfast, she replaced Mediagazer’s founding editor at age of 21. McKee was passionate about journalism, and  venturing new ways of producing information in digital age, then she worked from her home and sometimes from the Sinammon Coffee Shop on Botanic Avenue struggling  to make living out of journalism. In Skype Video below McKee explains her vision of profession (published on March 20, 2018).

AMENDED: The president of the European Parliament Antonio Tajani expressed his sorrow, and demanded investigation on death of Lyra McKee.  During his mandate Tajani has attributed names of three journalists slain in terrorist acts to EP press-center auditoriums in Strasbourg.

 

NATO extends Stoltenberg mandate

NATO Allies agreed on March 28, 2019 to extend the mandate of Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg (60) by a further two years, until 30 September 2022.

Jens StoltenbergNorwegian politician, who served twice as Prime minister. During his mandates the defence spending increased substantially, resulting in Norway becoming one of the highest per capita defence contributors among allies of NATO. He has been enhancing  modernisation of the Norwegian armed forces, and conducted policies contributing troops to various NATO operations.

Sea-Watch blames EU for migrant piracy

Malta informed its navy has seized control of a tanker ship hijacked by migrants in the Mediterranean, according to a government statement. (Image above: illustration).

The Captain repeatedly stated that he was not in control of the vessel and that he and his crew were being forced and threatened by a number of migrants to proceed to Malta. AFM Patrol Vessel P21 stopped the tanker from entering the Maltese territorial waters,”  the  government statement said.

Maltese maritime  authorities established contact with the vessel’s captain when the tanker was about 30 nautical miles (55 km) off the coast.

Italy‘s Interior Minister Matteo Salvini, , said that relevant authorities would not have allowed “criminals” who had committed an act of piracy to enter its ports.

Regardless an act of piracy the Sea Watch, NGO which carries out search and rescue operations in the Mediterranean, criticized Salvini‘s comments, blaming Europe for despair, pushing Africans to criminal path.

We must look to these 108 people with an eye of humanity and understand that any actions taken yesterday were in self-defense against the deadly consequences forced upon them by Europe’s inhumane border policy,” says Johannes Bayer, Chairman of Sea-Watch.

Several police vans were lined up in the port to take custody of the migrants for investigation, and five migrants were removed from the ship in handcuffs.

Malta officials report 100 illegal migrants arrived on board of a hijacked vessel  — 38 men, 15 women and 47 claiming to be minors. In absence of documents the real age of the “minors” is impossible to establish in ordinary legal procedures, the status of a minor automatically foresees a set of advantages, and makes it much easier for migrants to obtain asylum status.

#Utrecht: terrorist act indications

On March 18, in the evening, the police were already able to report that the main suspect, a 37-year-old man residing in Utrecht, could be arrested in a house on Oudenoord. The investigation has so far revealed no relationship between the main suspect and the victims. A firearm was found during his arrest”, Dutch police reported.

“In connection with the investigation, the police carried out searches in houses in various locations in Utrecht and elsewhere yesterday and last night. In addition to the main suspect, two other suspects were arrested. These are men from Utrecht aged 23 and 27. Of these men, the police investigate whether they are possibly involved in the shooting incident. The suspects are still detained and will be further interrogated.”

“The police and the Public Prosecution Service continue to investigate today, including the motive. So far, a terrorist motive has been seriously taken into account. Among other things, a letter found in the flight car and the nature of the fact give cause for this. Other motives are not excluded, they are also being investigated. Furthermore, agents will be visibly present in the neighborhoods and in contact with relevant parties.”

In absence of any personal contacts between the attacker and the victims Dutch leader of antiIslam Freedom party (PvV) Geert Wilders concluded that the shooting in tram was a terrorist act.

Gökmen T., who is detained for the attack in a Utrecht tram, perambulated freely yesterday because he had promised to cooperate in an investigation. He did that in the rape case in which he was involved, Dutch media NOS reports.

Yesterday, after T.’s arrest, it became clear that he had a criminal record of an exceptional gravity, and that he was recently detained. The Central Netherlands court has now given an explanation.

For the rape for which T. was arrested in August 2017, he was released a month later under conditions. But because he did not cooperate in a personality test and a report of the probation service, he was again detained last January.

At the end of last month, 37-year-old T. explicitly stated before the court that he would now cooperate in investigations. He was subsequently released conditionally on 1 March. The substantive treatment of the rape case was planned for July.

The court also reports that T. was sentenced this month in two other cases. He was given two weeks in jail for a shop theft, half of which was conditional. Furthermore, a burglary caused him to four months in prison.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

#Utrecht: assailant arrested

After a large-scale Dutch police operation suspect in Utrecht tram shooting Gökmen Tanis was arrested.
Around 10:45 on the 24 Oktoberplein in the city of Utrecht three people were shot dead in a tram, and five others were injured. Gokmen Tanis, a 37-year-old Turkish man, was detained several hours after the attack, however the details of the operation have not been revealed.

Tomorrow flags half-mast on all Dutch government buildings, following the instructions of the Prime Minister Mark Rutte.

« Older Entries Recent Entries »