Category Archives: News

Kassym-Jomart Tokayev leads Kazakhstan

The speaker of the SenateKassym-Jomart Tokayev (65) will become an acting head of state in Kazakhstan until next presidential elections scheduled for December 2020. The shift of power to the speaker has been done in accordance with the Constitution, declared by resigning President Nazarbayev, who ruled the country for three decades.

Tokayev is the very person that we can trust to govern Kazakhstan,” Nazarbayev said. “I know him well. He is an honest, responsible and reliable person.”

Kassym-Jomart Tokayev is a career diplomat, and a political scientist, who hold prominent positions in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs ascending to the top, and leading the foreign policy of the country for a decade. He is fluent in Russian, English, and Chinese languages.

As Chairman of the Senate of the Parliament of Kazakhstan, Tokayev was elected in 2008 Vice-President of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE).

Strong President, authoritative Parliament, accountable Government” said Tokayev , while describing his vision of Kazakh state model.

The appointment of the acting President coincided with the Kazakh traditional spring celebrations of  Nowruz, marking the beginning of a new cycle of life (21 March).

Kazakhstan President resigns

Kazakhstan President Nazarbayev (78) will step down.
Nursultan Nazarbayev has been in office since 1990.

President Nazarbayev, who has ruled Kazakhstan since the fall of the Soviet Union, announced on March 19 that he would resign his office.

“I have taken the decision to refuse the mandate of the presidency,” he said in a televised address.

A few weeks ago he dismissed the government as it struggles with low oil prices and domestic discontent. Sanctions against Russia, the country’s major trading partner, have also damaged the economy and fomented wide-spread discontent with the government blamed incapacity to ensure adequate living standards.

The President said that Kassym-Jomart Tokayev, the speaker of the upper house of parliament and a Nazarbayev’s loyalist, will take over as the country’s acting leader until the end of his term, as regulated by the Kazakh Constitution. This term ends in March 2020.

Conte defends Silk Road to Italy

Italy Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said that the Memorandum of understanding his government has scheduled to sign for China‘s Belt and Road Initiative during Chinese President Xi Jinping visit this week is risk free. The initiative is a huge infrastructure plan that aiming at construction of a modern Silk Road to connect China with Europe and Africa.

The attention to economic and trade terms is totally legitimate,” Conte told the Parliament as he reported to the lawmakers ahead of this week’s EU Summit in Brussels. “And it is justified precisely because of our national interests. We can boost our exports to a market of an enormous size”, Prime Minister explained.
The content of the memorandum, which was negotiated for months with China involving all the interested administrations, does not feature any risk for our national interest and is fully in line with the EU‘s strategy”, Conte ensured.

#Utrecht: terrorist act indications

On March 18, in the evening, the police were already able to report that the main suspect, a 37-year-old man residing in Utrecht, could be arrested in a house on Oudenoord. The investigation has so far revealed no relationship between the main suspect and the victims. A firearm was found during his arrest”, Dutch police reported.

“In connection with the investigation, the police carried out searches in houses in various locations in Utrecht and elsewhere yesterday and last night. In addition to the main suspect, two other suspects were arrested. These are men from Utrecht aged 23 and 27. Of these men, the police investigate whether they are possibly involved in the shooting incident. The suspects are still detained and will be further interrogated.”

“The police and the Public Prosecution Service continue to investigate today, including the motive. So far, a terrorist motive has been seriously taken into account. Among other things, a letter found in the flight car and the nature of the fact give cause for this. Other motives are not excluded, they are also being investigated. Furthermore, agents will be visibly present in the neighborhoods and in contact with relevant parties.”

In absence of any personal contacts between the attacker and the victims Dutch leader of antiIslam Freedom party (PvV) Geert Wilders concluded that the shooting in tram was a terrorist act.

Gökmen T., who is detained for the attack in a Utrecht tram, perambulated freely yesterday because he had promised to cooperate in an investigation. He did that in the rape case in which he was involved, Dutch media NOS reports.

Yesterday, after T.’s arrest, it became clear that he had a criminal record of an exceptional gravity, and that he was recently detained. The Central Netherlands court has now given an explanation.

For the rape for which T. was arrested in August 2017, he was released a month later under conditions. But because he did not cooperate in a personality test and a report of the probation service, he was again detained last January.

At the end of last month, 37-year-old T. explicitly stated before the court that he would now cooperate in investigations. He was subsequently released conditionally on 1 March. The substantive treatment of the rape case was planned for July.

The court also reports that T. was sentenced this month in two other cases. He was given two weeks in jail for a shop theft, half of which was conditional. Furthermore, a burglary caused him to four months in prison.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Utrecht gunman Chechnya-ISIS record

The leader of Dutch anti-Islam Freedom Party (PvV) Geert Wilders  (pictured) confronted  Prime Minister Mark Rutte with a request to explain how a Turkish man who is suspected in involvement in terrorism in Chechnya, and with Islamic State (ISIS),was released from prison, and could freely perambulate in Utrecht streets.

“…How can anyone with a criminal record full of atrocities from manslaughter to theft, destruction and rape roam freely and shoot with a weapon in a tram innocent people dead??? Explain that, Rutte”, Wilders challenged the Prime Minister, via his Twitter micro blog.

Meanwhile a Turkish businessman residing in Utrecht told BBC Türkçe that the shooter Tanış had “fought in Chechnya and that a “few years ago was arrested and released for his connection to ISIS. He was not a part of the Turkish community [in Holland], he was a outcast“, he added.

Brexit extension in question

House of Commons Speaker John Bercow said the government can’t have another meaningful vote on Article 50 deal unless changes made.

Guy Verhofstadt, the European Parliament representative for Brexit negotiations has responded to the Westminster decision with a rhetoric question on cross-party talks: ” It is time for country to come before party!“, he insisted.

Ankara “strongly condemns” Utrecht attack

Turkish intelligence service is investigating the motive of the suspect in #Utrecht shooting. President Erdogan has announced, according to reports of Reuters news agency from Ankara. The intelligence services investigate whether there is a terrorist motive and trace or whether the suspect had a different impulse. In a statement, the Turkish Foreign Ministry said it “strongly condemns” the attack.

The intelligence services have launched an investigation into possible ties of the assailant with the terrorist groups, namely if he had contacts in Chechnya, or in Islamic State (ISIS).

« Older Entries Recent Entries »