A man and a woman were killed and three pedastrians were stabbed on London Bridge on November 29. Police are still working to identify those who died.
The assailant in a fake suicide vest,carrying out the attack was named by police as 28-year-old Usman Khan, who was out of prison on licence at the time, having been convicted for terrorism offences in 2012.
Neil Basu, Scotland Yard’s assistant commissioner, said that Khan was “known to authorities” after being convicted in 2012. He had also been fitted with an electronic tag to monitor his movement since being released from prison on licence in December 2018, The Times newspaper reported.
Khan, who was from Stoke-on-Trent, in 2010 was arrested in a major counterterrorism operation, alongside eight others who had formed an al-Qaeda-inspired terror cell.
Khan was shot dead by police after members of the public restrained him. Passersby were widely praised by political leaders and others for showing “extreme courage”.
Police are carrying out searches at an address in Staffordshire where Khan had been living.
This morning, a police search believed to be linked to the London Bridge investigation is being carried out at a three-storey block of flats in Wolverhampton Road, Stafford, close to the town centre.
The UK police has declared the stabbing near London Bridge terror-related. Several people were injured, but at the moment the gravity of wounds in not made public. The suspect shot dead by police at scene, while wearing “hoax explosive device”.
At present neither of Islamists groups has claimed the attack, however the experts say in its style it is ISIS “inspired”.
There were some reports in social media about pedestrians, attempting to disarm the assailant, and they have succeeded.
The Mayor of London Sadiq Khan thanked the emergency services, police and the “members of the public, who risked their own safety this afternoon – they are the best of us”, he concluded, asking Londoners to stay vigilant at all times.
The flags of France are at half-mast outside NATO Headquarters to honour the fallen French soldiers in Mali.
Thirteen French soldiers were killed in Mali when their helicopters collided at low altitude as they swooped in at nightfall to support ground forces engaged in combat with Islamist militants.
A Tiger attack helicopter crashed into a Cougar military transport mid-air as it manoeuvred to engage the militants, who were fleeing on motorbikes and in pick-up trucks.
The two aircraft collapsed not far from each other, killing everyone on board including six commandos and an officer.
It is the heaviest toll in a single combat operation since 1986 when a French sea surveillance plane crashed into a mountain in northern Djibouti with the loss of 19 soldiers.
Estonia is one of the Allies of France, expressing it profound condolences. It is also
about to commit 160 military personnel to international operations, along with 234 service members to readiness units, next year. This includes a continued contribution to the French-led anti-insurgency Operation Barkhane, in the West African country of Mali, for which 95 personnel will be assigned. The Barkhane contingent will increase from 50 to 95 troops, and special operations forces will be deployed.
The Netherlands is not obliged to help actively in repatriation of the young children and their mothers who left the country to join ranks of the Islamic State in Syria, an appeals court in The Hague said on November 22, overturning an earlier ruling.
Earlier this month the preceding court instance said the government must actively help to repatriate 56 children living in squalid conditions in camps in Syria.
All the children concerned have Dutch nationality and are under 12 years old. Most are younger than six.
The government appealed this ruling, citing national security and the risks it said Dutch officials would be exposed by entering the camps to find these women and children.
It said the ruling would negatively impact Dutch foreign policy and international cooperation. The mothers and children concerned are living in poor conditions which could rapidly deteriorate as winter arrives in the Al-Hol camp in northeastern Syria, their lawyer Andre Seebregts told the court, defending the need of repatriation.
In total, around 68,000 defeated fighters of the Caliphate and their families are being held in the camp, according to the Red Cross. They are under the custody of Syrian Kurdish forces after they took the jihadist group’s last enclave.
Government figures revealed that, as of October, some 55 Islamic State militants still based in northern Syria had traveled there from the Netherlands. There were also at least 90 children with Dutch parents or parents who had lived for a considerable time in the Netherlands as residents.
The initiator of the “White and black book on terrorism” Member of the European Parliament Maité PAGAZAURTUNDÚA-RUIZ (Spain, ALDE) hopes for a specific European legislation to assist the victims of terrorism, underlining that first aid is essential, and it means a great deal in recovery.
PAGAZAURTUNDÚA-RUIZ underlines that countries like Spain and France, having an extensive experience in dealing with victims of terrorism can share the it with the other member-states, lacking such a knowledge= The exchange of experience would help to provide effective aid to the victims, because dealing with the consequences if one of the ways of fighting terrorism.
An extensive research on the EU citizens-victims of terrorism, covering period of the beginning of the XXI century (2000-2018) is expected to rise the sensibilities for the lawmakers for necessity to create a special legislation, directed to assistance of the terrorism victims, developing common EU approach to the phenomena, through sharing the valuable experience across Europe. (Below: original interview in Spanish language).
More than 90% of EU victims of terrorism inside and outside the European Union are casualties of radical Islam jihad practice.
MEP Maité PAGAZAURTUNDÚA-RUIZ has personal experience of terrorism, losing her brother as a result of a targeted attack. Joseba PAGAZAURTUNDÚA, was murdered by Basque terrorist group ETA in 2003 after a long period of threats, harassment and aggression.