Tag Archives: migrants

Open Arms: 27 migrants allowed ashore

Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini has agreed to let ashore 27 migrants from Mediterranean NGO rescue ship Open Arms, all of them claim that they are “unaccompanied teenagers”.

Those who claim they are minors were allowed to disembark on the Italian island of Lampedusa after more than sixteen days at sea, and considerable international pressure, however so far only six EU state expressed readiness to welcome some of the passengers on the vessel navigating under Spanish flag.

At present there are more than 500 million Africans without birth certificate or/and passport, according to the World Bank, subsequently their age can be estimated only approximately through medical tests in cases it is requested by prosecution.  Among those without birth certificate 494 million are in sub-Saharan Africa.

Reportedly more than 100 migrants remain on board the Spanish rescue ship Open Arms, and the NGO insists on Lampedusa (Italy) landing.

 

Open Arms migrants receive Hollywood-style support

The Spanish ship Open Arms has been stranded off Italy‘s island of Lampedusa for eight days because none of the EU governments is willing to accept any number of migrants from the group of the 121 passengers navigated from Libyan coasts.

The Hollywood star Richard Gere helped to bring food and supplies to the boat and asked for support for the migrants and NGO, whose passengers include nine-month-old Ethiopian twins.

Everyone is doing okay now,” Gere said in a video published by Open Arms.

The rescue ship has been waiting for eight days for any EU government to welcome migrants. However not everybody is convinced by migrants drama: “Richard Gere on the Open Arms? I hope you get a tan and that you feel good … Since the ship is an NGO that flies the Spanish flag, they can disembark the 120 immigrants in Ibiza or Formentera, right?”  wrote Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini.

The 70 years old asylum legislation, created after the WWII, has not been adapted after the collapse of the colonialism. It is worth mentioning that the key documents – the  Geneva Refugée Convention (1951)and its 1967 Protocol, were concluded still in colonial context, while Ghana (formerly the Gold Coast) became the first sub-Saharan African country to gain its independence from European colonization in 1957. At times of endorsement of Geneva Convention, it was beyond imagination that the legislation would be used to enhance flows of illegal migration from African continent to Europe.

Mediterranea captain disobeys Italy orders

The Italian NGO Mediterranea‘s Alex migrant rescue vessel carrying 54 people picked up in  Libya waters on July 4 has been stopped off Lampedusa according to a landing ban issued by Interior Minister Matteo Salvini, ANSA news agency sources said on July 5.

The vessel of the NGO, which by this time would have arrived in Malta that had given the availability of a safe harbor, breaks the law, ignores the prohibitions and enters Italian waters” Salvini wrote in his Twitter micro blog.

Salvini said the NGO vessel should navigate to Malta or elsewhere, in case it instists on entering Italian waters it would be regarded as an “act of violation“.
Malta offered a port to the ship but the Mediterranea at first said this was “unfeasible“, because of the state of the passengers exhausted by the trip.

The NGO underlined  that because the physical and psychological conditions of the migrants the instructions of Interior minister were impossible to fulfill.

However, Alessandra Sciurba, spokesman of Mediterranea Saving Humans, later communicated that the vessel was ready to transport the migrants at Malta.
It was reported that a Maltese navy ship was send for the Mediterranea to receive the migrants, but the NGO said that they did not have any information about this maneuver.

The Italian navy later offered to transport the Alex‘s migrants to Malta.
The Maltese government said Italy would take 55 migrants  in exchange for the 54 migrants Malta would take from the Mediterranea.

Deputy Premier Luigi Di Maio said it was right that the ship should go to Malta; the NGOs that used sailboats like the Mediterranea were “reckless”, he added.

 

Business refuses operations in Sweden ‘no-go’ zones

The U.S. shipping company UPS has refused delivering goods to a notorious neighborhood Rosengård (Rose Garden) in
Malmo, Sweden, nowadays often called “no-go zone.” The decision to stop operations in the area came after a wave of attacks on the company drivers.

The UPS company experience in the area, including robberies and related crimes, resulted in a responsible decision to stop the exposure of the personnel to dangers of ‘no-go” zone by avoiding  it.

Swedish newspaper Sydsvenskan refered to an employee of the company who confirmed: “Our drivers have been attacked and therefore we have decided not to hand out packages at Rosengård.”

Sweden welcomed more refugees per capita than any other European Union member-state. In the past five years, the country of 10 million hosted more than 400,000 asylum-seekers and their relatives.

The city of Malmo, just across the Oresund Strait from the Danish capital Copenhagen, has experienced the biggest influx of  migrants per capita. 

Previously known for its ethnic mono culture with only 1% of the population foreign born, half from neighboring Nordic countries—Sweden has become a top destination for economic migrants and asylum seekers, who are attracted to the stability, wealth and strong social welfare system.

Today the foreign-born Swedish population stands close to 20% out of 10.1 million inhabitants, not including asylum seekers—of whom there were over 160,000 in 2015, reaching the climax of the demand, with the majority of arrivals from Syria, Iraq, Iran, Somalia, Turkey and Afghanistan.

Malmö and the area experienced  the steep rise of сrime reflecting in the  most deadly shootings in Sweden last year, with the city’s ongoing migrant gang war leaving 14 dead and 28 wounded, according to police statistics.

Nigerian drug gang arrested in Sicily asylum

Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini said in a radio interview on RTL that the government will close the Cara asylum seeker centre in Mineo, Sicily, by the end of this year. “The bigger the centres are, the easier it is for criminals to infiltrate,” Salvini said.

A gang of Nigerian drug dealers based at the Cara di Mineo (Catania) and practicing Mafia methods were dismantled thanks to law enforcement and the judiciary. “For my part, I repeat the commitment to empty it by the end of this year“, he added.

At Cara di Mineo asylum centre police arrested 19 false asylum seekers who belonged to the Nigerian drug mafia.

 

 

 

 

Dutch refuse migrants from SeaWatch3

The Netherlands will refuse an Italian of the Minister of Interior Matteo Salvini requesting to accept 47 migrants on humanitarian ship that is being blocked from Italian ports, it said in an issued statement.

The Sea Watch 3, run by a German humanitarian group and flying a Dutch flag, recovered the migrants out of a rubber boat off coast of Libya more than a week ago.

Since then it has been sailing through high winds and 7-metre (23 ft) waves. Taking into consideration the weather, Italian authorities allowed the vessel to enter its waters, to find a shelter from a storm, however they refused to accept the illegal migrants. It is the second shuttle of the NGO vessel this month, the previous trip was successful,  and they managed to convince the EU states to accept the migrants. Probably this success encouraged the crew to repeat it, demanding Europe to share the reception of illegal migrants between the member-states.

Libyan pedophile temporarily banned from EU

After 15 years ban, a Libyan pedophile rapist will be have an opportunity to come back to the European Union, Swedish press explains.

The African who raped a Swedish child says he was looking for someone to rape that day, and he didn’t care if it was a child, news outlet Fria Tider reports.

The 30-year-old Libyan who was charged with a brutal rape of a 9-year-old girl in Malmö earlier this year was sentenced by the District Court for aggravated rape of a child.

The penalty will be six years imprisonment and expulsion, but not for life – after 15 years, the pedophile rapist is welcome back” – Voice of Europe online explains.

He lured the plaintiff into a garbage bin room and locked the door. He wrestled her to the ground, hit her in the face, pulled off her clothes on the lower body and held her legs,  the newspaper continues the description of crime.

He strangled her and inflicted a bruise on her neck so that she felt pain and had difficulty breathing. He further threatened to beat her if she did not stop screaming.”

The man, who in media has been called “the father of young children” has admitted committing the crime.

According to the judgment, the Libyan was in the area “to look for a girl to rape, and he did not care if the girl was a child”. He wanted to have vaginal intercourse with her and therefore told her to “open” her legs during the assault.

The man is a citizen of Libya, but has a permanent residency in Sweden since November 2010.

The Libyan rapist has three underage children in Sweden and has been convicted several times before of violent and predatory crimes without being expelled.

The penalty will be imprisonment for six years and expulsion from the country for 15 years, and payment of  €17,000 in damages to the girl.

The Libyan rapist is also sentenced for minor assault, two cases of sexual harassment, theft, minor drug offences and a knife violation, however non of the mentioned crimes was a reason for the authorities to imitate an expulsionChild road procedure.

« Older Entries