Tag Archives: Dutch

Italy insists Dutch assuming responsibility for SeaWatch3

Carola Rackete, the captain of the Sea-Watch 3 migrant-rescue ship, has been put under investigation by prosecutors in the Sicilian city of Agrigento, Italian media reports.

The vessel is currently anchored in front of the port of Lampedusa after capitan Rackete defied an order to stay out off Italian waters on June 26. The migrants were collected by the crew off Libya coasts over two weeks ago.

German national, Rackete (31) is being probed for allegedly  dealings with illegal immigration when refusing to obey a military vessel, the Italian sources said.

Prime minister Giuseppe Conte said that several EU States have agreed to take some of the around 40 migrants on board the Sea-Watch 3 to resolve the situation of the NGO vessel passengers.

“Three or four countries are willing to take part in the redistribution of the Sea-Watch migrants, Conte said to reporters at the G20 summit in Japan. Foreign ministry sources informed four EU countries expressed readiness to take some of the Sea-Watch migrants, including France, Germany, Luxembourg and Portugal.
On the sidelines of the G20 Conte had a meeting with Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte about the Sea-Watch case.

The vessel is managed but a German NGO but it navigates under Dutch flag and Italian authorities insist the Netherlands should assume the responsibility. This week the Italian Embassy in The Hague took a formal step about a possible dereliction of duty by the Dutch authorities.

#Utrecht: terrorist act indications

On March 18, in the evening, the police were already able to report that the main suspect, a 37-year-old man residing in Utrecht, could be arrested in a house on Oudenoord. The investigation has so far revealed no relationship between the main suspect and the victims. A firearm was found during his arrest”, Dutch police reported.

“In connection with the investigation, the police carried out searches in houses in various locations in Utrecht and elsewhere yesterday and last night. In addition to the main suspect, two other suspects were arrested. These are men from Utrecht aged 23 and 27. Of these men, the police investigate whether they are possibly involved in the shooting incident. The suspects are still detained and will be further interrogated.”

“The police and the Public Prosecution Service continue to investigate today, including the motive. So far, a terrorist motive has been seriously taken into account. Among other things, a letter found in the flight car and the nature of the fact give cause for this. Other motives are not excluded, they are also being investigated. Furthermore, agents will be visibly present in the neighborhoods and in contact with relevant parties.”

In absence of any personal contacts between the attacker and the victims Dutch leader of antiIslam Freedom party (PvV) Geert Wilders concluded that the shooting in tram was a terrorist act.

Gökmen T., who is detained for the attack in a Utrecht tram, perambulated freely yesterday because he had promised to cooperate in an investigation. He did that in the rape case in which he was involved, Dutch media NOS reports.

Yesterday, after T.’s arrest, it became clear that he had a criminal record of an exceptional gravity, and that he was recently detained. The Central Netherlands court has now given an explanation.

For the rape for which T. was arrested in August 2017, he was released a month later under conditions. But because he did not cooperate in a personality test and a report of the probation service, he was again detained last January.

At the end of last month, 37-year-old T. explicitly stated before the court that he would now cooperate in investigations. He was subsequently released conditionally on 1 March. The substantive treatment of the rape case was planned for July.

The court also reports that T. was sentenced this month in two other cases. He was given two weeks in jail for a shop theft, half of which was conditional. Furthermore, a burglary caused him to four months in prison.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dutch refuse migrants from SeaWatch3

The Netherlands will refuse an Italian of the Minister of Interior Matteo Salvini requesting to accept 47 migrants on humanitarian ship that is being blocked from Italian ports, it said in an issued statement.

The Sea Watch 3, run by a German humanitarian group and flying a Dutch flag, recovered the migrants out of a rubber boat off coast of Libya more than a week ago.

Since then it has been sailing through high winds and 7-metre (23 ft) waves. Taking into consideration the weather, Italian authorities allowed the vessel to enter its waters, to find a shelter from a storm, however they refused to accept the illegal migrants. It is the second shuttle of the NGO vessel this month, the previous trip was successful,  and they managed to convince the EU states to accept the migrants. Probably this success encouraged the crew to repeat it, demanding Europe to share the reception of illegal migrants between the member-states.

Sea-Watch3 migrants awaiting for solution

The NGO rescue vessel Sea-Watch 3, a German NGO under Dutch flag, remains stranded some 1.4 miles from the port of Syracuse as Italian authorities continue to refuse to allow disembarkation of the ship’s passengers.

In a statement, Sea Watch said that without a safe port for the “exhausted shipwrecked” migrants, the Sea-Watch 3 on 24th of January sought shelter to the east of the Sicilian coast.

The vessel has been allowed to enter Italian territorial waters due to bad weather, Italian coast guard sources said.
“… I sent a letter to the Dutch government in which the it is officially and formally tasked with dealing with this vessel, which flies the Dutch flag, and of the passengers on board,” Interior Minister Matteo Salvini   said.

Earlier fellow Minister of Industry Minister Luigi Di Maio said that he thinks the Dutch ambassador to Italy should be summoned over the ship.

The Netherlands has indicated a readiness to possibly take in a proportional number of migrants who are on board Sea-Watch 3, on condition that other European countries do the same,” said security and justice ministry spokesman Lennart Wegewijs. However, later Dutch changed their position, saying they don’t feel it is their responsibility.

It is the second time in a month Sea Watch has been stranded at sea with rescued migrants and no safe port. The last standoff ended after 19 days and an agreement among eight EU countries, including Italy, to take in the migrants.

The situation on board is critical,” said the International organization for Migration (IOM), the UN refugee Agency, UNHCR, as well as the children’s Fund, Unicef, on January 27.  In a joint statement by UN organizations demanded that the migrants sitting on the ship of the German aid organisation Sea Watch in front of Sicily, “shall immediately” go into Italy from the board. The international pressure on Italy is mounting, while no other EU country volunteers to accept the transported from Libyan costs migrants.

AMENDED: 31/01/2019

Lifeline crew accused of piracy and human trafficking

Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini warns about the arrest of the crew, and NGO vessel Lifeline transporting over two hundred illegal migrants from Libyan coasts to Italy, accusing them of piracy.

Formally Salvini is difficult to reproach. Acting within the international regulations,  Salvini orders stay in line with the UN frame document – the Law of Sea 1982, indicating that a  sovereign state is in its right to to establish and practise legislation over its aquatorium, similar way as over its territorium. The Law gives unequivocal powers to a state to fight illegal migration, and repel any vessel, suspected in migrant trafficking.

On contrary the Lifeline vessel has hardly any legitimacy after Transport Minister Danilo Toninelli accused it of “operating in Libyan waters outside all rules, outside international law” amid confusion over where the ship was de jure  registered.

This week the Netherlands denied reports that the Lifeline and another NGO-run migrant-rescue ship, the Seefuchs, are sailing under Dutch flags. “The Seefuchs and Lifeline are not sailing under Dutch flag as per UNCLOS (United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea) flag state responsibility,” the Netherlands representation at the EU said via Twitter.

In response Mission Lifeline confirmed in a tweet that its ship has been registered in the Netherlands since September 2017, attaching a photograph of the registration document to show it. It also said the rescue operation took place in international waters.

Amid clarifications Salvini informed that for “the safety of the crew and passengers Italy had asked Malta to open its ports for Lifeline vessel.

It is clear that the ship will then have to be impounded and the crew members arrested. No more trafficking by sea,” Salvini underlined.

Valletta accused the Lifeline crew of ignoring Italian instructions, and denied any responsibility for the mission, but made a gesture of goodwill, offering humanitarian supplies to illegal migrants.

General elections – Dutch vote

Reportedly Dutch votes went to ballot-boxes in unprecedented numbers. 13 million voters began casting ballots at polling stations across the country that will close at 2000 GMT. The vote is considered to be decisive for the future of the country, and its membership in the EU. The convincing victory of Party for Freedom led by Wilders, would push forward the Nexit agenda, following the UK.

SAM_6652

 

« Older Entries