The main suspect of the bomb attack in Lyon Mohammed H. a computer science student of 24 years, and three members of his entourage were arrested May 27 and placed in custody, announced the Paris prosecutor’s office and sources close to the ‘investigation.
The Algerian student, previously unknown to the police, according to officials, is suspected of having placed May 24 afternoon a parcel bomb containing bolts, screws and metal balls in front of a bakery, not far from the station of Lyon-Perrache.
“Here is an Algerian who enjoys with his family generosity of France (studies, social housing, etc.) and thanks by posing a bomb.
We must end the immigration and family reunification that put the lives of our children in danger!” writes regional Regional Councilor Agnes Marion.
The explosion, which left 13 injured, including eight women and a 10-year-old girl, has not been claimed at this stage.
According to a source close to the investigation, traces of DNA were found on the remains of the package and the explosive used was TATP, a very unstable craft substance used in particular in the attacks of 13 November 2015 in Paris.
The witnesses in Schiphol Ariport, The Netherldands claim the bomber, threatening to blow up airport shouted “Allah Akbar’.
AMENDED: Dutch police has not discovered any explosives on the arrested individual. NOS TV channel reported, that the alleged bomber is 51 year old Canadian citizen, the same sources added that his is physiologically unstable.
A tourist bus explosion in near site of Giza Pyramids in Egypt reported by a number of leading news agencies. According to reports there are dead and wounded. There are pictures claimed to be from the scene of the explosion.
Details to follow.
AMENDED: Two dead and 14 wounded reported by local media.
AMENDED: officials qualify the blast as a terrorist attack, highly likely perpetrated by militants of Islamic State (ISIS). However no terrorist group claimed the attack so far.
AMDENDED: The bus was carrying 12 Vietnamese tourists when an homemade device placed near a wall along the Mariyutiya street, near the Giza Pyramids, went off. 2 people died, 10 were injured as well as the bus driver and the tour guide, both Egyptian.
Explosions reported from polling stations in Kabul hours after the voting procedure for Afghanistan parliament elections started. There is no further detail at the moment, however TOLONews agency reports high turnout from early morning hours.
TOLOnews’ reporter Nematullah Ahmadi reports from northern Badakhshan province that Independent Election Commission (IEC) staff have not received enough training to use biometric devices properly – which has caused major problems for voters. Despite this he says turnout is huge in Badakhshan.
The active participation of women is reported from different provinces. Some of them made it clear to the reporters they will vote for women-candidates, representing their interests.
“The recent violence in Afghanistan, notably yesterday’s attack in Kandahar and recent assaults on civilians and candidates for the parliamentary elections during political rallies, aims at dissuading voters to exercise their democratic right. But nobody can deprive the Afghan people of the right to decide their own future,” said the statement of the European External Action Service (EEAS) ahead of the elections.
Russian President Vladimir Putin admitted the obvious: a blast of a ‘needle bomb’ in St. Petersburg on Wednesday evening in a supermarket is a “terrorist act”. The head of state ordered Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB) to act within the law when detaining criminals, but in the situation of a threat to the lives of law enforcement officers, no one should be captured but “eliminated on spot”.
According to the latest information, the December 27 (18:55 LT) blast at a supermarket in St. Petersburg’s Kondratyevsky avenue caused injuries to 13 people, among them a pregnant women, eight of them remain in hospitals. An explosive device stuffed with striking metal elements – a ‘needle-bomb’ – detonated in a supermarket at a ground floor of the shopping mall in self-storage lockers at the entrance.
The images of a presumed terrorist taken by CCTV have been released shortly after the blast by Russian counter-terrorism committee. Petersburg media swiftly released an image of a man with “Oriental” or “Non-Slavic” features as a major suspect. According to the investigation practices it is kept secret, and very few details are revealed to public.
In the evening 50 people have been evacuated from a St.Petersburg supermarket after an explosion (18:55 local time, when the maximum of clients were shopping). 10 among them with injures delivered to hospitals, two in critical condition, according to city media.
“The investigators are exploring all versions. An improvised explosive device stuffed with shrapnel and with a powder equivalent to 200 grams of TNT was detonated in a shopping mall,” Svetlana Petrenko, the Spokeswoman for the Investigative Committee said. Petrenko underlined that the investigators are tracking all possible versions of the “incident”. The investigations are supposed to be conducted in secret, so many details are not publicly available. At the moment Russian media also names the explosion “an incident”.
Among 50 evacuated, 10 people were hospitalised, two in between life and death, local newspaper Fontanka writes about three people evacuated by paramedics.
The city’s department of the Russian Investigative Committee opened a criminal investigation into the “attempted murder against two and more persons“. Investigators, forensic experts, security services and police officers are working at the spot.
The same building accommodates an entertainment center, which has been one of the most popular destinations for residents of Russia’s northern capital. It also hosts a banquet hall, concert hall, restaurant and supermarket. It is visited by families as entertainment center with facilities for young children and teenagers.
A device exploded in the U.S. embassy compound in Ukraine’s capital Kiev (pictured) in the early hours of Thursday, injuring no one, police said.
An attacker threw the device over the embassy’s fence just after midnight, police added, calling it a terrorist act. The Embassy staff is unharmed, no physical damage reported.